Just like our homemade turkey stock, this recipe is a great way to make a delicious pork broth from pork hocks that you can use as-is or in soups (or pork gravy if you like). It’s also easy to freeze!
How to Make Pork Broth
Before we get started, you need pork hocks. For those of you who aren’t familiar with them, they look like this. You will be roasting them as opposed to smoking (the most common method of preparation) because we want to get as much flavor out of them as possible. Note that sometimes it can be tough to find pork hock but if you reach out to your local butcher, chances are they can get you some.
To get started, preheat your oven to 400°F and place the pork hocks on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Now surround the pork hocks with onions, carrots, celery and garlic in a single layer. Sprinkle some salt and pepper over everything and place in the oven for 40 minutes.
Once everything is done, remove from the oven and it’s time to prepare the Instant Pot to make the broth.
Prepping the Instant Pot to make Pork Broth
- Add about 10 cups of water to the Instant Pot, then add in all of the ingredients. Push the SOUP button and cook on high pressure for 1 hour.
- Let the Instant Pot release naturally for about 30 minutes.
- Strain out all of the bones and vegetables and season to taste (see recipe card for ideas).
That’s it folks! Just seal it in a mason jar similar to the one pictured above and place it in the fridge until you are ready to use or place it in a freezer safe container and freeze. The choice is yours.
The Fast & Slow Team
PIN this recipe to your Instant Pot Recipe Boards & FOLLOW US ON Pinterest
Instant Pot Pork Broth
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 2 hours 40 minutes
- Instant Pot
- Fast & Slow Cooking
- 2 large Pork Hocks NOT SMOKED
- 1/2 large white onion Sliced into quarters WITH peel
- 2 medium carrots
- 2-3 stalks celery
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- salt and pepper
- 10 cups water
- one teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon Salt To taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper To taste
Preparing in the Oven
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the pork hocks, onion, carrots, celery and garlic in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 40 minutes, then remove. Place all of the ingredients into a large bowl and then start making the broth.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Add 10 cups of water in instant pot. Add in the ginger.
- Put all ingredients in.
- Use the soup button and cook on high pressure for two hours.
- Let the instant pot naturally release the pressure (about 30 minutes)
- Strain out all bones, vegetables
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.