This Instant Pot Beef and Barley stew is the perfect comfort food made fast in your pressure cooker! Barley usually takes a long time to cook, but not with the Instant Pot!
Instant Pot Beef and Barley Stew or Soup!
You can make this into a soup simply by adding more beef broth to the mixture. I like it thick and chunky as a stew but it’s up to you what you prefer!
What Exactly IS barley?
Everyone has heard of barley of course but perhaps it needs a little explaining! Barley is a cereal grain that belongs in the family of grasses. It is one of the most cultivated crops in the world, along with flour, corn and rice of course. To learn more you can head to GoBarley for more information and recipes!
Which Instant Pot should I use for this Beef and Barley Stew recipe?
We recommend a 6 qt or higher Instant Pot such as the one pictured below. Certainly, this recipe should work with any kind of pressure cooker or Instant Pot but during recipe testing, this is the one we used.
You can easily find this Instant Pot on Amazon here if you currently don’t own one and would like to purchase it.
Our Top Five Instant Pot Accessories That Are Worth The Money!
- Genuine Instant Pot Stainless Steel Inner Cooking Pot – 6 Quart
What are the health benefits of barley?
Barley is actually really good for you!
- Barley is full of heart healthy goodness such as fiber, protein, magnesium, potassium, folate, and vitamin B6.
- The high fiber helps to lower cholesterol as well!
- When coupled with iron rich beef and vegetables it’s a power meal for people like me that can’t get enough iron and magnesium in their diets.
Beef & Barley Stew Tips & Tricks
- Since barley takes quite a while to cook make sure that you chop your vegetables quite large, otherwise they can get too soft. Even in the Instant pot this still takes 30 minutes and you know that veggies can get soft when you cook it that long!
- You can omit the red wine and replace with a splash of red wine vinegar – which should be a staple in your pantry if you don’t always have red wine on hand for recipes. If you don’t want to use that, use balsamic vinegar instead.
- To make this more of a soup, add 2-3 cups of additional beef broth.
- Feel free to sub in vegetables of your choice to make it the best beef and barley stew for you!
Don’t forget to follow Fast and Slow Cooking on Facebook
If you are on Twitter, give us a follow @FastandSlowCook
Join us here on Instagram as well!
Instant Pot Beef and Barley Stew
This Instant Pot Beef and Barley stew is the perfect comfort food! Thanks to pressure cooking, the barley cooks up faster - meaning you get dinner on the table in no time at all!
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 30 minutes
- Total Time
- 45 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
Stewing Beef Preparation
- 2 lbs stewing beef cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3-4 large carrots diced into large chunks
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 3 large russet potatoes cubed
- 3 cups white mushrooms sliced
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- fresh parsley to garnish
- 4 cups beef broth
Whisk together the flour, salt and pepper. Place the beef in the flour mixture and toss until the beef is coated. Shake off the excess. In the bottom of your Instant Pot, heat the oil using the saute button. Add in the beef and cook until browned.
Add in the rest of the ingredients and then stir until combined. Use the soup button and cook for 30 minutes. You can either release the steam manually or let it naturally release, the choice is up to you. Stir and serve.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Pin This To Your Instant Pot Recipes Board!