This Instant Pot Macaroni Hamburger Soup is an amazingly fast way to make hamburger soup with macaroni! Thanks to the invention of the Instant Pot you can use your favourite pressure cooker to whip it up fast instead of letting it simmer on top of the stove or in a crockpot.
Make Fast and Easy Macaroni Hamburger Soup in the Instant Pot
This Instant Pot Hamburger Soup is perfect for when you have come home at the end of the day and have no idea what to make for dinner – which happens to me all the time! That's why I love my Instant Pot so darn much, it is an amazing helper when you are in desperate need of a fast and easy recipe! I must admit that I use my Instant Pot for soups more than I use it for main meals, pressure cookers are just made for soup. Best of all, by adding the macaroni to this soup at the end you make this a meal, a big, main meal that will fill up the family! If you wanted you could even add in some garlic toast and call it a day!
Why use a pressure cooker?
- Pressure cooking really breaks the ground beef down into a nice velvety texture. Once you try a pressure cooked soup that has meat in it, you won't ever go back! Even a slow cooker doesn't do the same job, pressure cooking excels when it comes to cooking meat.
- Most of all? You Don't Have To Watch it! Let's face it, when's the last time that you went upstairs for 20 minutes and didn't run down to stir the soup? I don't trust my stove top to not a) boil over or b) burn on the bottom and c) I have a gas stove so leaving it unattended is not happening. This is the reason that I love my Instant Pot so much, there is no babysitting necessary!
Which Instant Pot should I use for this Macaroni Hamburger Soup recipe?
We recommend a 6 qt or higher Instant Pot such as the one pictured below. Certainly, this recipe should work with any kind of pressure cooker or Instant Pot but during recipe testing, this is the one we used.
You can easily find this Instant Pot on Amazon here if you currently don’t own one and would like to purchase it.
Our Top Five Instant Pot Accessories That Are Worth The Money!
- Genuine Instant Pot Stainless Steel Inner Cooking Pot – 6 Quart
- Genuine Instant Pot Tempered Glass lid, Clear – 9 in. (23 cm) – 6 Quart
- Genuine Instant Pot Silicone Lid 5 and 6 Quart
- Genuine Instant Pot Sealing Ring 2-Pack – 6 Quart Red/Blue
- Steamer Rack for Instant pot, Dimeshy 2 PACKS Stackable Egg Steamer Rack Trivet for Pressure Cooker
Tips And Tricks for Instant Pot Macaroni Hamburger Soup
- Always use the soup button when making soup in your pressure cooker or Instant Pot.
- Use the mixed frozen vegetables mix as using frozen vegetables will help them stay firm and not mushy during the cooking time.
- Use lean ground beef in this Instant pot macaroni hamburger soup to cut down on the fat amount in the recipe but if you have to use regular, make sure to drain it well!
- Make sure to listen and hear your Instant Pot SEAL and come to pressure. If you have a dirty seal or ring or anything it won't seal and the soup can burn on the bottom of the stainless steel insert which I have done before so learn from my mistakes! Once you hear it seal you can leave it and carry on with something else.
- Substitute in ground turkey instead of the ground beef for a turkey hamburger soup!
For other hamburger soup recipes try :
PIN This Recipe to Your Instant Pot Recipes Board or Soups Board!
Instant Pot Macaroni Hamburger Soup
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 45 minutes
- Total Time
- 55 minutes
- Instant Pot
- Fast & Slow Cooking
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 10.75 oz can condensed tomato soup
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups frozen vegetables
- 1 tsp white sugar if your tomatoes are too acidic
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups elbow macaroni cooked
- While you are prepping the soup, cook the pasta according to the package directions, Drain and set aside until the end.
- Fry the ground beef and onions together in the metal cooking pot in your Instant Pot using the “saute” function on your Instant Pot until the ground beef is cooked and the onions are translucent. Add in the garlic and fry until brown. Drain the fat.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato soup, beef broth, bay leaves, thyme, frozen vegetables and pepper.
- To cook immediately, press the soup button, seal the Instant Pot, close the vent and cook for 45 minutes. Let it naturally release – you can manually release but for safety's sake I don't recommend it.
- Remove the bay leaves. Stir in the cooked macaroni and let it warm up. Ladle into bowls and serve.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.