Are you a fan of potato soup? If so, you are doing yourself a disservice if you haven’t tried kicking it up a notch, flavor wise, with leeks. This Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup is a flavor-packed soup that is sure to be a hit with the family.
How to Make Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup
To make this soup, begin by getting out your Instant Pot and getting it ready for use.
Now, it’s time to prepare the potatoes. Begin by peeling the potatoes, being sure to remove all of the skin.
Now chop the potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes (this helps them cook quicker and break down better for the soup. Set them aside.
Now we want to prepare the leeks.
How to Cut and Chop Leeks
When it comes to preparing leeks, it can be a little difficult to explain in words so I found this excellent video by the fine folks at WikiHow that shows the process perfectly.
Follow along with the video and once done, place the chopped leeks aside in a bowl.
Now press the sauté button on the Instant Pot and add some butter to the bottom so you can fry the leeks.
Pour in the leeks and cook until they are slightly soft, trying not to brown them in the process.
Once the leeks are done, add in the minced garlic and cook until fragrant and slightly browned.
Now it’s time to add the stock, bay leaves and the potatoes. Pour them into the Instant Pot and seal the lid to begin pressure cooking the soup.
Press the soup button ( or any high pressure button) and set for 10 minutes. Once the soup is finished, let the Instant Pot release naturally, then remove the lid. Scoop out the bay leaves and insert an immersion hand blender into the pot. Being careful not to splash the hot liquid, blend the mixture until smooth and free of any lumps.
The Best Pressure Cookers
Instant Pot – 6 Quart (what we use)
If you don’t have a hand blender and prefer a chunkier soup, simply use a potato masher and mash until it reaches your desired texture.
Stir in the cream until mixed through completely.
Tip: To punch up the flavor even more, sprinkle with nutmeg to serve.
There you have it! Potato and Leek Soup made hot and fresh in the Instant Pot!
The Fast and Slow Team.
PIN this recipe to your Instant Pot Recipes or Soups Boards & FOLLOW US ON Pinterest
Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Cook Time
- 10 minutes
- Instant Pot
- Fast & Slow Cooking
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 leeks washed of all the grit and white/pale green parts chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 cups Russet potatoes peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- nutmeg to top
- Press the saute button on your Instant Pot.
- In the bottom of the Instant Pot, melt the butter then add in the leeks.
- Fry until slightly soft, trying not to brown any of the leeks in the process.
- Add in the garlic, then saute for 1-2 minutes until fragrant and browned.
- Add the potatoes, chicken stock and bay leaves, stirring well to combine everything.
- Seal the Instant Pot according to manufacturesr’s instructions.
- Press the soup button ( or any high pressure button) and set for 10 minutes.
- Let the pot come to pressure, cook, then let it naturally release.
- Remove the bay leaves. Using a hand immersion blender, process the soup until smooth. Alternately you can simply use a potato masher as the potatoes will fall apart perfectly and you can have a chunkier soup.
- Stir in the cream until mixed through completely. Sprinkle with nutmeg to serve if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Made this recipe?
Share a photo of what you made on Instagram or Facebook and tag us @fastandslowcooking or hashtag it #fastandslowcooking.
Please rate this recipe in the comments below to help out your fellow cooks!
Leave a Comment or Recipe Tip