Need a rich, hearty soup that you can make in a flash? This Instant Pot Potato Soup is a family favourite that we’ve been making for many years. We’ve simply transformed it into an Instant Pot recipe to make it quicker and easier using these amazing appliances!
How to Make Instant Pot Potato Soup
To make this delicious soup, set your Instant Pot to the sauté function (press the button) and add in the onions and bacon to fry. Cook until the onions become soft and translucent, then drain and place back in the pot.
The Best Pressure Cookers
Now it’s time to prep the potatoes. You’ll want to peel and chop up your Russet potatoes (cubed size is good) and place them in the Instant Pot along with the chicken broth and spices.
Seal and press the soup button on the Instant Pot or manually cook for 45 minutes on high pressure. Release the pressure manually when done according to manufacturer’s instructions.
In a medium pot over low heat, melt your butter. Stir in the flour until it is combined. It will get lumpy, that’s ok, don’t panic.
Now begin to pour in the milk, slowly, making sure it is absorbed into the flour without making it lumpy. Eventually, it will smooth out. When all of the milk has been added and everything is smooth, add in the cheese and stir until melted.
Whisk continuously and turn on the sauté button. Stir frequently and let the mixture thicken. Serve when ready.
The Fast & Slow Team.
PIN this recipe to your Instant Pot Recipes Boards & FOLLOW US ON Pinterest
Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 45 minutes
- Instant Pot
- Fast & Slow Cooking
- 6 strips thick cut bacon diced
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 8 cups cubed Russet potatoes peeled and sliced into one inch cubes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Fry the bacon and the onion in your Instant Pot using the “saute” setting until the onions are soft and translucent and the bacon is cooked. Drain, keeping the bacon and onions in the pot.
- Peel and chop up your Russet potatoes and place in the Instant Pot along with the broth. Add in the spices. Seal and using the soup button or manual cook for 45 minutes high pressure. Release the pressure manually according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- In a medium-size pot over low heat, melt the butter. Stir in the flour until it's combined, it will be all clumped together, this is ok.
- Next, little by little, stir in the milk making sure that the milk is absorbed into the flour without making it lumpy. Eventually, the mixture will be smooth.
- When all of the milk has been added and the mixture is smooth, add in the cheese and stir until melted.
- Whisk it into the Instant Pot. Use the saute button and while stirring frequently, let it thicken up. Serve when ready.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.