A simple, healthy snack – Kale Chips are a breeze to make and we’re going to show you just how easy they are to make in your air fryer.
How to Make Air Fryer Kale Chips
The first things you need to do is to wash your kale. Make sure you give it a thorough rinsing and then give it a good shake. Then blot dry with paper towels before you get started. The better job you drying it, the quicker it will cook in the air fryer so make sure to blot well on both sides after washing. This helps ensure crispiness to the kale when cooked.
Removing The Ribs From The Kale
Once the kale has been washed, it’s time to remove the ribs. To do so, you want to make a single cut along the stem on each leaf and remove.
Compost the stem and place the leaves aside for the air fryer.
Cooking the Kale
Once you’ve finished removing all of the ribs and have a nice stack of leaves, you’ll want to chop them into reasonable sizes. I tend to cut the leaves in half or thirds as those tend to be about “chip-sized” but you can do whatever size works for you.
Now place the kale on a cooking sheet or cutting board and drizzle with olive oil. Massage the oil into the kale lightly to make sure it’s evenly covered, then place the fresh kale in the air fryer in a single layer and sprinkle with salt.
Close the air fryer and cook according to the directions in the recipe card below.
Once the kale is finished, it should look something like the picture below. It should be a little crispy but not burnt.
How do you store the kale chips?
Place the kale chips in an airtight resealable bag to ensure the longest lifespan. Ideally, eat them within a day or two otherwise they may start to lose some of their crunchiness.
Can I make these in the oven?
Yes you can but cooking times and temperatures may vary. See the post: How to make Kale Chips for details instructions on how to do them in the oven.
What seasonings can I use on the kale chips?
Hopefully you enjoy these healthy snacks. If you do, please rate the recipe and / or comment below and let us know your thoughts!
The Fast & Slow Team
Be sure to pin this to your SNACKS boards on Pinterest
Air Fryer Kale Chips
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 6 minutes
- air fryer
- Fast & Slow Cooking
- 1 large bunch of fresh kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sprinkle of sea salt
- Wash the kale by rinsing under the tap. Shake the water off of the kale as much as possible.
- On a cutting board, remove the stems of the kale as shown in the photo.
- Tear the kale into bite-sized pieces then place in a salad spinner.
- Spin the kale until the water has been removed.
- IF you don’t have a spinner, blot the kale with paper towels as much as possible to remove the moisture.
- Place into a large bowl and drizzle the olive oil over the kale. Sprinkle with salt.
- Massage the kale lightly to ensure that the oil and the salt cover all of the leaves.
- Place the kale into the basket of your air fryer. It should be around 5-6 cups of kale.
- Cook at 365 °F (you don’t need to preheat your fryer) for 2 minutes, then shake. Check again at 4 minutes to see if it’s done.
- Continue to cook to desired doneness, checking every minute to ensure that it doesn’t burn. I like a few browned bits of kale in mine, my son thinks those are burnt, while I think that they are the best part!
- Remove and place in a bowl. If desired, toss with a couple of teaspoons of your favorite seasoning.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.