Air Fryer Grilled Cheese! Who knew that an air fryer makes what is already supposed to be one of the easier lunch/dinner options out there even easier!
I will say with certainty that I’ll definitely be doing more of these in the Air Fryer than I will be frying them in a pan, it’s way easier.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
When making your air fryer grilled cheese, there are two ways you can do it; you can use butter or mayonnaise. In my humble opinion, if you make them with butter, you are doing it wrong. I have been told in the past by a number of chef’s (one that specifically ran a grilled cheese truck!) that you should always use mayo to make your grilled cheese because mayo has a higher smoke point.
In other words, if you cook with mayo instead on the outside of your bread, you can cook it longer without burning which means the cheese melts better. Once I discovered this, I have never made them with butter again.
Of course, the choice is yours however.
How to Make Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
This is obviously pretty easy to make (I mean it’s a grilled cheese right?) but there are a few things you need to do first before you put it in the air fryer. Start by spreading a thin layer of mayonnaise on two pieces of bread. In this instance, we used marble rye but you can use whatever type you wish. Once this is done, place them mayo-side down in the air fryer basket. Now put one or two slices of cheese on each and then cover with your last two slices of bread (this time mayo-side up).
Slide the basket into the air fryer and get cooking!
Close the air fryer and select 375 degrees for 3 minutes if using white bread or 375 degrees for 4 minutes if using rye or a similar heavy bread.
When the time is up, flip them and return to the air fryer for the same amount of time (or until they are done to your liking).
Slice diagonally and serve with a side of ketchup and a pickle. Enjoy!
Make sure to pin this to your AIR FRYER RECIPES boards and follow us on Pinterest!
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 8 minutes
- Main Course
- air fryer
- Fast & Slow Cooking
- 4 slices marble rye
- 2 tablespoons butter or mayonnaise
- 4 slices cheese
- Spread the mayonnaise thinly on one side of the four slices of bread.
- Place two slices mayonnaise side down in the bin of the air fryer.
- Top with two slices of cheese each and then place the top on (mayonnaise side up!) just like you were going to fry it in a pan.
- Close the air fryer and select 375 degrees for 3 minutes if using white bread or 375 degrees for 4 minutes if using rye or a similar heavy bread.
- When it finishes, flip the sandwiches and repeat for the same amount of time. Serve with a pickle and slice diagonally or in half.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.