These honey garlic slow cooker chicken thighs are not only delicious, but they are also a great way to cook chicken thighs throughout the day while you are at work or busy doing other things.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
Before you place these in the slow cooker, you want to cook the chicken thighs a bit in a skillet first to render the fat out and crisp the skin. If you don’t do this, the sauce will become fatty and will not taste as good.
Heat some oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Make sure the oil covers the entire bottom of the skillet so the chicken does not stick to the pan. Sprinkle the chicken thighs with some salt and pepper and place them in the skillet, skin side down.
Cook until the skin is a golden brown color and some of the fat has rendered out, then remove from the pan and set aside on paper towels to soak up any excess oil.
Now place the chicken in the slow cooker, skin side up.
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients until they are smooth and fully combined. Pour this over the chicken thighs, being sure to cover them completely. Now place the lid on the slow cooker.
Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours (depending on how quickly you want them done). Even if you overcook the thighs a bit, they are still delicious and tender, that is the benefit to using thighs, they are very hard to overcook and dry out.
Remove the thighs and place on rice, pouring the sauce from the slow cooker on top of the chicken and the rice. Serve and enjoy!
The Fast & Slow Team
PIN this recipe to your Slow Cooker Recipe Boards & FOLLOW US ON Pinterest
Honey Garlic Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 6 hours
- Main Course
- Slow Cooker
- Fast & Slow Cooking
- 6-8 chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on
- 3-4 tablespoons cooking oil
- salt and pepper
Honey Garlic Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup honey melted
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- fresh chopped parsley to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. In order for the chicken now to stick, make sure there is a layer of oil over the whole bottom. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the skin of the chicken.
- Place the chicken thighs skin side down into the hot oil. Saute in the oil until the skin is golden brown and some fat has rendered out. Remove the chicken from the pan, let drain on paper towels briefly to get rid of any cooking oil and then place skin side up in the slow cooker.
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients until smooth and combined completely. Pour over the chicken thighs in the slow cooker, making sure to cover the tops of the chicken thighs.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6 hours. Chicken thighs can be overcooked and still delicious and tender!
- Remove the chicken thighs and plate. Use the sauce from the slow cooker on top of the chicken thighs and rice!
- Calories include ALL the sauce, so are higher than they actually are. Unless of course, you eat all the sauce 😉
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.