This Crockpot Polish Sausage, Cabbage and Potato Soup is what we would call a Poor Man’s Dinner – but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t delicious! This is something my Baba would have thrown into a soup pot and cooked up for dinner, because you worked with the foods you had!
Polish Sausage, Cabbage and Potato Soup in the Slow Cooker
There is almost no simpler soup to make than a Polish sausage , cabbage and potato soup and it’s the kind of soup that I grew up on. Soup with onions, cabbage and kielbasa, with some potatoes thrown in is the staple in many a Polish or Ukrainian household. Again, you cooked with what you had on hand, and these were foods that were always available.
What type of sausage should I use?
You can use any type of sausage that you enjoy the taste of. Ham sausage, Farmer’s sausage or kielbasa, all that matters is that it’s a smoked sausage and not a raw sausage! This soup only works with smoked sausage.
Tips and Tricks for Making Polish Sausage, Cabbage and Potato Soup
- Do not increase the broth, the cabbage is going to release a lot of liquid while cooking! This is going to look thick, and like it won’t end up being soup, but trust the cabbage!
- You can change up the vegetables, leave out the carrots and potatoes if you are looking for a more low-carb soup – trust me, it will still be amazing with only the cabbage and sausage!
If you are looking for more Crockpot/Slow Cooker Soup Recipes, try these:
- Slow Cooker Split Pea Hamburger Soup
- Crockpot Hamburger Soup
- Crockpot Ham and Potato Soup
- Crockpot White Sweet Potato Soup
Karlynn and Mike
Pin This Recipe To Your Slow Cooker or Crockpot Recipes Boards!
Crockpot Polish Sausage and Potato Soup
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 8 hours
- Total Time
- 8 hours 10 minutes
- Slow Cooker
- Fast & Slow Cooking
- 3 cups potatoes cubed and peeled
- 4 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 2 chopped carrots
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds crushed
- 1 lb Polish sausage cooked, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Place the potatoes, cabbage, carrots, onion, caraway seeds and sausage in crock pot. Pour broth over it all and mix.
- Cover; cook on low for 10 - 12 hours or high for 5 - 6 hours.
- Ladle in bowls.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.