This Crockpot White Sweet Potato Soup Recipe came about by accident. Have you ever picked up a sweet potato in a hurry, taken it home and peeled it, only to find out it's white? Well, I did and now you can learn from my mistake!
White Sweet Potato Soup
True story, I grabbed a sweet potato out of my pantry, started to peel it and then stared in disbelief at the color of the potato. I was honestly completely dumbfounded as white sweet potatoes look the exact same on the outside as orange sweet potatoes do. You can't tell unless you peel the skin. I had glanced at the stack of sweet potatoes in the store and grabbed a good looking one. I didn't read the sign! Now to be fair, I have actually never encountered STACKS of white sweet potatoes, so I blame the store haha! I actually had to go and research what the heck to do with a WHITE sweet potato! What was the flavor profile? Can you substitute it for the orange? Read on to find out!
What are White Sweet Potatoes?
- White sweet potatoes are one of three sweet potatoes : orange, purple and white. They are sadly the least healthy out of all three with less antioxidants than the other two.
- White sweet potatoes are less sweet and are closer to Russet potatoes.
- White sweet potatoes are a good substitution for russet potatoes but expect more sweetness. They are NOT a good substitution for orange in any way! The flavour profile is completely different. Think of a russet potato and then think if it was sweeter.
Now if you happen upon white sweet potatoes you can try this Creamy White Sweet Potato Soup! I think everyone should try a white sweet potato recipe at least once in their cooking lives, just to see what they really taste like! Or if you know, you made a mistake like I did while shopping, this recipe will rescue you!
Pin This Recipe To Your Slow Cooker and Crockpot Recipe Boards!
White Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 4 hours
- Total Time
- 4 hours 15 minutes
- Slow Cooker
- Fast & Slow Cooking
- 1/2 cup white onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic mined
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4-5 cups chicken broth made from bouillon
- 4 cups white sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 cup Tex Mex cheese and more if you want to top the soup with it
- Sour cream- if you want to top the soup with it
- Saute the onions in butter in a skillet over medium heat until they are soft, then add in the garlic. Fry for another 3 minutes then add to the soup.
- Make 4-5 cups of chicken broth, making sure it's enough to cover the potatoes and pour into the crockpot.
- Peel and chop up your white sweet potatoes and place in the crockpot
- Add the spices into the crockpot and stir in.
- Cook in the crockpot on high for 3-4 hours, until the potatoes are slightly falling apart and the broth is cloudy.
- When the soup is ready, cooked potatoes and slightly falling apart, you need to make a roux. (Flour/butter/milk thickener)
- In a medium size pot over low heat, melt the butter. Stir in the flour until it's combined,it will be all clumped together, this is ok.
- Next, little by little, stir in the milk making sure that the milk is absorbed into the flour without making it lumpy. Eventually the mixture will be smooth.
- When all of the milk has been added and the mixture is smooth, add in the cheese and stir until melted.
- Move your potatoes to one side of the pot so there is a soup surface to mix in.Whisk in your milk/cheese sauce into the crockpot.
- Cook for another 30 minutes or so, stirring occasionally so there isn't a skin on the surface. If you like, you can puree the soup until smooth with an immersion blender, this is how I prefer to serve it.
- Serve and top with the Tex Mex cheese, extra parsley, bacon, you name it, it will work!
- adjust the seasonings to your personal liking
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.