Looking for a hearty dinner to feed the family? These Calico Beans are an exceptionally delicious option. Toss everything together in the slow cooker and make a meal you and the family will enjoy for several days.
How to Make Slow Cooker Calico Beans
To get started, you'll want to cook the required amount of bacon (see recipe card below) for 2-3 minutes and then add n the beef and onion. Cook everything until it is no longer pink, then drain and place in the slow cooker.
Now add in the remaining ingredients and give everything a good stir.
Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. If you are cooking on high, make sure you stir the mixture once in a while to ensure nothing burns around the edges (sometimes beans will stick, so stirring is a good idea).
Freezing Calico Beans
These are a great make-ahead meal that freezes nicely. To do so, place them in a glass container with a lid and place in the freezer. They will keep for 3-4 months easily and are simple to reheat.
The Fast & Slow Team
PIN this recipe to your Slow Cooker Recipes Boards & FOLLOW US ON Pinterest
Slow Cooker Calico Beans
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 8 hours
- Total Time
- 8 hours 10 minutes
- Main Course
- Slow Cooker
- Fast & Slow Cooking
- 4 slices thick cut bacon diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can 28 ounces molasses pork and beans
- 1 can 16 ounces kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can 16 ounces lima beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet cook the bacon for 2-3 minutes. Add in the beef and onion and cook until the meat is no longer pink, then drain.
- Combine the beef mixture, bacon, beans, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, mustard and salt in a slow cooker.
- For the slow cooker, you can cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 6-8 hours. If you are cooking on high be prepared for stirring it once in a while in case your crockpot runs hot. The beans can burn on the edges if you have a really hot slow cooker.
- Serve and enjoy!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.