One of our favorite go-to recipes for dinner is this cheesy slow cooker chicken breast and rice. It cooks up perfectly and is a nice hearty meal at the end of a long day.
How to Make Cheesy Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice
Start by placing the frozen chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the rice, soup, broth, garlic powder, and onion powder until you've removed any and all lumps from the mixture.
Pour this over the chicken breasts.
Now, spoon the liquid over the chicken breasts to remove any rice from the top of the chicken breasts. If you leave rice on top, it may not cook properly so this is an important step.
Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for about 4 hours or until the rice has cooked properly and an instant read thermometer reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
How to Slow Cook Tender, Juicy Chicken Breasts
Chicken breasts are everyone's favorite healthy protein, but that's because they have no fat and so they are lean. The lack of fat means that they dry out when they are cooked too long, so to be honest this is NOT an all-day slow cooker recipe.
This is the type of recipe that is good for putting on before church – you are home within 3 hours to eat it – or before a zoom meeting from home at the end of your day. It only took 3 hours for the rice and chicken to cook up even using FROZEN chicken breasts!
Chicken breasts are just not good slow-cooked all day, period.
What Type of Rice to Use?
We used parboiled rice in this recipe as we like the shape and how it bakes up. You can use any long-grain white rice that you choose, however no instant rice!
Tips and Tricks
- You can see that we only made two chicken breasts with this recipe, as we ate it for lunch one workday at home. You can cook up to 4 chicken breasts, and that might take up to four hours.
- You HAVE to use frozen chicken breasts or they will dry out
- Cook on HIGH or you end up with mushy rice
The Fast and Slow Team
PIN this recipe to your Slow Cooker Recipes Boards & FOLLOW US ON Pinterest
Cheesy Slow Cooker Chicken Breast and Rice
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 3 hours
- Main Course
- Fast & Slow Cooking
- 2-4 chicken breasts frozen
- 1 cup converted rice
- one 10.5 ounce can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh parsley to garnish
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Whisk together the rice, soup, broth, garlic powder and onion powder until the lumps are smoothed out and mixed in.
- Pour over the chicken breasts.
- Spoon soup ( not rice) over top of the chicken breasts to remove any rice on top of the chicken.
- Place the lid on top and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours, or until the rice has cooked and the chicken has reached at least 165°F.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and place the lid back on to let the cheese melt.
- Garnish with fresh parsley if desired and serve!
- This works well for 2 chicken breasts as you can see, my husband and I made it for OUR lunch one day!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.