Trying to figure out what to do with that chuck roast you have had sitting in the freezer forever? Why not whip up a delicious Slow Cooker Shredded Beef and Gravy meal for the family? It is delicious on buns, by itself or alongside Yorkshire puddings!
How to Make Slow Cooker Shredded Beef and Gravy
To make this delicious meal, start by defrosting your chuck roast and placing it in the bottom of the slow cooker.
Now you'll want to mix together the gravy mixes, onion soup powder (this one gives it a nice flavor boost!), water and broth.
Once you've whisked it to remove any lumps, pour it over top of the roast in the slow cooker.
Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
The roast will need to cook until it shreds easily with two forks, which takes quite a while so do this in the morning if you are planning on leaving it all day.
Once the roast has cooked completely, remove the strings from the beef, discard them and shred the roast into the gravy until mixed throughout. It should shred easily if you cooked it for our recommended amounts of time.
Now you can add it to a bowl to serve as is, on top of buns or even better, with homemade Yorkshire puddings (linked above).
If you want to reduce the saltiness of the beef, use low sodium gravy and onion mixes or if you can't find those, use reduced salt broth / bouillon instead!
Hope you enjoy it! If you do, please share the recipe with your friends!
The Fast & Slow Team
PIN this recipe to your Slow Cooker Recipes Boards & FOLLOW US ON Pinterest
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef and Gravy
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 8 hours
- Main Course
- Slow Cooker
- Fast & Slow Cooking
- one 4-5 pound chuck roast
- two 25 gram package gravy mix see notes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dry onion soup mix
- Place the chuck roast into the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Whisk together the gravy mixes, water, broth and onion soup mix. Pour over the roast in the slow cooker.
- Place the lid on top and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours. The roast has to cook until it shreds perfectly with two forks, which takes hours.
- Once done, remove the strings from the beef and discard. Shred the roast into the gravy until mixed throughout.
- Serve as is, in sandwiches, or on Yorkshire puddings and more!
- beef, brown, or mushroom dry gravy mixes all work with this roast for flavor.
- add in drained canned mushrooms for a mushroom taste boost!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.