Want to make Rich & Creamy Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese?
Plan to make these incredibly rich and decadent slow cooker mashed potatoes for your next holiday meal! These are by far the most beloved of all of my mashed potato recipes. It’s a recipe that I found years and years ago and it’s remained the favourite for when we really want to indulge. When I say these are rich and creamy, I mean it. Hello decadent!
Which Slow Cooker should I use to Make Rich & Creamy Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes ?
For this recipe, we recommend a 6-8 quart oval shaped crockpot (slow cooker) such as the one pictured below. While this recipe will certainly work in other styles, this one affords the right amount of space for just the right amount of food. This is a large capacity crockpot at 8 quarts – if you are serious about slow cooking then this baby is affordable, has amazing reviews and is beautiful!
You can easily find this crockpot on Amazon here if you currently don’t own one and would like to purchase it.
Our top 3 Slow Cooker accessories that are worth the money
- Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners (Pack of 8)
- Non-Stick Roasting Rack for Oval 6×9 Crockpots
- Meat Shredding Claws for Pulled Pork, etc.
Now, these slow cooker mashed potatoes are not the type that you cook IN the slow cooker. These are more of a life hack, you use your slow cooker to cook them a little it further with the sour cream and the cream cheese added, but mainly this type of slow cooked mashed potato is all about getting the cooking done beforehand. These rich, creamy slow cooker potatoes are good for holiday meals where you need to free up your stove top and your oven. It’s the same as making a pan of mashed potatoes the night before and reheating them the day of the holiday dinner. This way you have everything else free to cook the turkey or roast easily.
- Using butter on the inside of the slow cooker makes the outside a little crisp and delicious! I love the browned milk and butter exterior that these can get! If you don’t like it, then don’t use butter on the slow cooker insert, just use cooking spray.
- You could absolutely make these the night before, refrigerate them at the point where you place them in the slow cooker and then start them heating up the next day. I would add on an hour of cook time for a cold crockpot.
Karlynn and Mike
Don’t forget to follow Fast and Slow Cooking on Facebook
If you are on Twitter, give us a follow @FastandSlowCook
Join us here on Instagram as well!
Pin This Recipe to Your Slow Cooker Sides Board!
Sour cream and cream cheese truly make these the best Rich & Creamy Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes you will ever make! Perfect for your holiday dinner!
- 5 pounds red potatoes cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic or to taste
- 3 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 8 ounce container sour cream
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter
- salt and pepper to taste
Butter the inside of your slow cooker and set aside.
In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook the potatoes, garlic, and bouillon until potatoes are tender but firm, about 15 minutes.
Drain the potatoes making sure to reserve some of the potato water. In a bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese. Add in some of the reserved water until the desired consistency is reached.
Place the potato mixture into the prepared slow cooker, cover, and cook on low for 2 to 3 hours. Just before serving, stir in the butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe from All Recipes