This Instant Pot pork butt, which is also known as a Boston butt, cooks to tender perfection in a gravy that is loaded with fresh mushrooms and sliced onions! We also have a slow cooker pork butt recipe if you want it to cook all day while you are at work. Serve this with mashed potatoes for a real treat!
Prefer using the slow cooker? Here's our Mushroom Gravy Slow Cooker Pork Butt instead.
Instant Pot Pork Butt
Pork butt roast in the Instant Pot really takes advantage of what a pressure cooker excels at – breaking down tough meats until tender and perfect to eat! You still do have to cook it for 2 hours in the Instant Pot to make sure that you break down the fat and the connective tissues that make this cheap roast too tough to cook any other way.
What is Pork Butt?
Pork butt is a cut of meat from the pork shoulder that is cheap to buy but tender and delicious as long as it's cooked properly. Where I live, this roast is HALF the price of a beef chuck roast! We have started buying this roast and using it instead of chuck roast, it's just as delicious and full of protein for the family.
Pork butt is full of flavor but must be slow-cooked or pressure-cooked to break down the connective tissues and fat marbling in it.
You can use a bone-in pork butt if you have one, even though we use a boneless one. Both of them work!
We use two pounds of whole mushrooms in this recipe to make them our “vegetable side dish” that cooks up in the Instant Pot with the roast. You can slice the mushrooms if desired, or use less or more ( we actually have one mushroom hater in the family otherwise I would make around 3 pounds! They are our favorite part of this meal).
Shredding The Pork Roast
Once cooked properly, the pork butt will shred easily using two forks. This is why this cut is also used for pulled pork, but we change it up and make a completely different tasting meal. This is basically pulled pork in gravy – and we might like it better than the BBQ pulled pork, not going to lie!
Enjoy! This is a really great way to make pork butt, and might just become a new family favorite!
The Fast and Slow Team
PIN this recipe to your Instant Pot Recipes Boards & FOLLOW US ON Pinterest
Mushroom Gravy Instant Pot Pork Butt
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Cook Time
- 2 hours
- Main Course
- Instant Pot
- Fast & Slow Cooking
- 3-4 pounds pork butt roast
- salt and pepper
- 2 pounds large whole white mushrooms
- 1 large large white onion sliced
- 2 cups mushroom broth
- one 21 gram package mushroom gravy
- one 21 gram package pork gravy
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Pat the pork butt roast dry with paper towels. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place 2-3 tablespoon of cooking oil into the bottom of a large frying pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Place the roast into the heated oil and brown on both sides.
- Place into the Instant Pot, then place the onions and mushrooms on top.
- Whisk together the mushroom broth and gravy mixes until smooth. Pour over the roast. Lift the roast slightly with a fork so that some liquid goes under the roast, this helps prevent it from sticking.
- Seal the Instant Pot then press the meat/stew button, cooking for 120 minutes.
- Let the Instant Pot release naturally.
- To make the mushroom gravy, transfer the roast to a serving platter and cover with foil to keep hot.
- Whisk together the slurry ingredients. Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot. Slowly whisk the cornstarch slurry into the mushroom mixture in the bottom of the Instant Pot until it's thickened. You may not have to use all of the mixture, just add enough to bring it to the desired consistency.
- Shred the roast with two forks, pulling apart the meat and serve with the gravy and mushrooms on top.
- We prefer whole large mushrooms as we love to eat them large. You can slice them if wanted.
- If you can't find the mushroom broth, use pork or chicken broth.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.