Instant Pot Split Pea Soup is chock full of nutrition and a great hearty meal when you want something filling and packed full of flavor. Add in the optional saltiness of ham and you've got yourself a winner for dinner.
How to Make Instant Pot Split Pea Soup
To make this soup, you'll be using the sauté button on your Instant Pot. Place a bit of oil in the bottom and turn on the sauté button. Now add in your onions and optional bacon / mushrooms and fry until the onions are soft and translucent. Once that is done, add in the garlic, carrots and celery and fry for an additional 2-3 minutes.
Now add in your broth and (if using) your ham bone along with the split peas, bay leaves and thyme. Now is the time to also add in any of the additions from the recipe card below so read it over before proceeding and when you are ready, place the lid on the Instant Pot and close the seal.
You will be cooking this on high for 20 minutes and once done, let the soup sit and naturally release for an additional 20 before removing the lid. If you used the ham bone, remove it and chop off any meat, returning the meat to the pot. Give it a stir and serve. That's it!
The Fast & Slow Team
PIN this recipe to your Instant Pot Recipes Boards & FOLLOW US ON Pinterest
Instant Pot Split Pea Soup
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Cook Time
- 20 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour
- Instant Pot
- Fast & Slow Cooking
Basic Split Pea Soup Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 ham bone or smoked ham hock
- 1 pound dry split green peas rinsed and sorted
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Optional Meat Additions
- 2 cups diced ham
- 6-8 slices diced thick cut bacon fry with vegetables in step 1
- 1 pound cooked and drained ground beef
Optional Vegetable Additions
- 2 cups diced russet potatoes
- 1/3 cup barley add in 1 cup extra broth if using
- 1 cup sliced white mushrooms fry with vegetables in step 1
Optional Spice Additions
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke if not using any ham/hocks/bacon
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Press the saute button on your Instant Pot and place the oil in the bottom.
- Once heated, add in the onions. If adding bacon or mushrooms, cook it now with the onions.
- Fry until soft and translucent, then add in the garlic, carrots and celery and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the broth, the ham bone (if using), split peas, bay leaves and thyme. Add in any other meat, vegetable or spice additions now.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and close and seal according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Once done, let the soup sit and naturally release for 20 minutes, then remove the lid according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Remove the ham bone and chop off any meat, returning the ham to the pot.
- Stir and serve while warm.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.