This Instant Pot Ham and Potato Soup is an easy, quick meal that’s just perfect for cold weather (or whenever you get the craving for something hearty). It cooks up no time thanks for the Instant Pot and is a guaranteed hit for the whole family.
How to Make Ham and Potato Soup in the Instant Pot
To begin, you’ll need to set your Instant Pot to the sauté setting. Doing so will let you fry the onions directly in the Instant Pot without the need to dirty a frying pan. Place some butter in the bottom and fry them until the onions are soft.
Next, add in the garlic and fry until brown and fragrant – be sure not to burn or overcook!
Now comes the easy part, add in the potatoes, broth, vegetables and spices (see the recipe card below for amounts) and stir everything together.
Now close the Instant Pot and let it seal. Cook on high pressure for about 15 minutes and then release the pressure and set it to warm. Whisk together the corn starch and milk and then whisk this into the soup until everything is thickened.
Add in the Velveeta or shredded cheese and let everything melt, stirring until combined. Finally, when everything is melted, add in the ham and cook until the ham has heated. That’s it! Time to serve!
Should I use Velveeta or Cheddar Cheese?
Personally, we prefer Velveeta. It adds to the soup’s creaminess.
However, if you are not a fan (Velveeta-style cheeses have their own taste, similar to real cheese, but not quite) you will want to use real cheddar cheese in your soup.
If you choose to use regular shredded cheese, I recommend mixing in a small amount of Velveeta to enhance the texture (it won’t ruin the taste, I promise).
Should You Use Pork Broth or Ham Broth?
Being a ham and potato soup, it only makes sense to use ham or pork broth as the base of your soup if you have a ham bone left over from a roast. If you don’t, simply use chicken broth.
Mix things up by introducing different vegetables
You can easily change up this soup by introducing different vegetables such as peas, sweet corn, green beans or carrots so feel free to experiment with your favourites and find the ones you enjoy the most.
The Fast and Slow Team
Instant Pot Ham and Potato Soup
- Prep Time
- 30 minutes
- Instant Pot
- Fast & Slow Cooking
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium white onion peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 cups ham broth
- 6 cups Russet potatoes peeled & diced
- 2 cups frozen vegetable mix your preference
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese cubed or 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- In the bottom of your instant pot using the sauté button, fry the onions in the butter until the onions are soft.
- Add in the garlic and sauté until browned and fragrant.
- Add in the potatoes, broth, vegetables, basil, and parsley. Stir to combine.
- Close the lid to the Instant Pot and seal.
- Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes, then use a quick release according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Press the keep warm button.
- Whisk the cornstarch into the milk, then whisk into the soup until thickened.
- Add the Velveeta or shredded cheese and let it melt, stirring occasionally.
- When it’s melted in completely, add in the ham and cook until the ham is heated.
- Remove the soup from the heat.
- Spoon into bowls and serve.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.