This Instant Pot Chicken & Wild Rice Soup is not a cream soup, it has NO dairy in it. It is a simple chicken broth based soup that is loaded with wild rice and vegetable goodness! Let’s face it, sometimes you need a lighter dinner and a cream soup is not it! That’s when this healthy, hearty and fast chicken and wild rice soup is perfect. Just whip out the Instant Pot and away you cook!
Chicken & Wild Rice Soup Was Made for the Instant Pot
Raise your hand if you hate cooking wild rice! I am madly and wildly waving my hand in the air. Cooking wild rice can be one of the toughest (literally) foods to cook. It runs out of liquid before it’s done, wild rice can take forever and a day to cook and then it still is too crunchy, the list goes on and one. But wild rice in the Instant Pot? Holy Dinah, this is what pressure cooking does the best! Wild rice becomes no problem when you use the soup setting for 45 minutes on your Instant Pot. Set it and forget it!
Which Instant Pot should I use for cooking chicken and wild rice soup?
We recommend a 6 qt or higher Instant Pot such as the one pictured below. Certainly, this recipe should work with any kind of pressure cooker or Instant Pot but during recipe testing, this is the one we used. The 6 quart has a large enough capacity to make a nice large batch of soup!
You can easily find this Instant Pot on Amazon here if you currently don’t own one and would like to purchase it.
Our Top Five Instant Pot Accessories That We Think Are Worth The Money!
- Genuine Instant Pot Stainless Steel Inner Cooking Pot – 6 Quart
Tips & Tricks for Making the Best Instant Pot Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- Use a really good quality wild rice blend. You can trust that the Instant Pot is going to cook the rice perfectly for you!
- We cook the chicken breast IN the soup at the same time. You simply remove it and shred it after it’s done. You could in theory chop it up and put in already cooked chicken, but cooking whole chicken breasts in the soup and then shredding really makes the chicken perfect!
- Use whatever vegetables you wish in this soup.
- Always make a good, strong chicken broth. I rarely use the pre-made ones from containers as they are too weak in flavour.
Happy cooking! You are going to love making a wild rice soup in your Instant Pot!
Karlynn and Mike
Don’t forget to follow Fast and Slow Cooking on Facebook
If you are on Twitter, give us a follow @FastandSlowCook
Join us here on Instagram as well!
Pin This To Your Instant Pot Dinners Board!
This Instant Pot Chicken And Wild Rice Soup is easy and delicious - and has no dairy products!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 white onion diced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 russet potatoes diced small
Combine all of the ingredients above in the instant pot.
Press the Soup button and cook for 45 minutes. ( should be the default time that appears when you push the soup button.
When ready, remove the chicken breasts onto a plate and shred them. Mix back into the soup.
Serve and enjoy!