This is honestly the BEST Crockpot Chocolate Lava Cake you will ever make! It is so decadent you'd swear you are eating a fancy restaurant dessert – but it only took you a few minutes to put together!
This Crockpot Chocolate Lava Cake is the BEST!
I had wanted to try and make a crockpot chocolate lava cake for a long time and finally tested it out. The result was scrumptious – and a recipe that I will keep in my back pocket for large gatherings from now on! This was perfect for feeding a large group of 8-10 people.
Will the crockpot cake burn?
Not if you watch it carefully near the end. You can use the liners that we linked to below in the list to prevent this but really it's about watching the cake during the last 30 minutes. Some crockpots are hotter than others and you can definitely burn the edges. Fear not, if the cake edges burn simply take the dessert from the inside of the crockpot. Most crockpots are the same, but sometimes you can get one that's really hot compared to others.
Tips & Tricks for Making Amazing Crockpot Chocolate Lava Cake
- Don't skip the can of icing, it's what takes the “lava” from an ok pudding to an amazing chocolate explosion of lava! Trust me, this is what makes this Crockpot Chocolate Lava Cake so decadent! Using this in addition to the chocolate chips makes it great!
- Like I mentioned before watch the cake edges carefully at the end of the cooking time.
- This Crockpot Chocolate Lava Cake is done when the middle of the cake is baked completely. When you are testing it make sure that you aren't piercing through to the chocolate lava part otherwise you'll think the cake isn't done. When the tester comes out clean the cake is ready!
- As a result of this being a super easy recipe you can play around with this recipe as you see fit, mix and match cake mixes and puddings!
PIN this recipe to your Slow Cooker Recipes Board & FOLLOW US ON Pinterest
Crockpot Chocolate Lava Cake
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 3 hours
- Total Time
- 3 hours 10 minutes
- Slow Cooker
- Fast & Slow Cooking
Crockpot Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (2 layer cake mix)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
Chocolate Pudding Mixture
- 1 box chocolate pudding (6 serving size)
- 3 cups milk
- 1 can chocolate frosting
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Combine the ingredients of the cake mix layer in a large bowl. Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the ingredients until smooth and mixed in completely, around 2 minutes. Pour into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, combine the pudding mix and 3 cups of milk. Mix according to the package directions. Pour on top of the cake batter.
- Remove the icing lid and microwave for 10-15 seconds until it is pour-able. Pour evenly on top of the pudding.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the mixture in the crockpot.
- Place the lid on top and cook on high for 3- 31/2 hours or until the cake has cooked in the middle completely. You can also cook this low and slow for 4-5 hours. The cake is done when you can insert a knife in the middle of the CAKE only and it comes out clean. Don't pierce through to the pudding!
- Remove and serve hot with vanilla ice cream on top.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.